Need Help? Text HELLO to (844) 710-6857
With its sweet and smoky flavors, our own Jeff Kotzen’s recipe for Collard Greens with Crispy Bacon is A-MAZING. Serve it as a side dish or eat the entire thing as a meal. Whatever you choose, just be sure to make it.
- 1 bunch leaves of collard greens, torn from stalks and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cabot butter
- 1/3 package Savenor’s Hardwood Smoked Bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons fig jam, or other fruit jam
- 1.5 cups chicken, veggie or beef stock
- Dash of red wine
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon O-Med extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a pan until crispy. Then, remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside. One it cools, chop the bacon into medium sized pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the same pan on medium-heat and saute onions, shallots and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add balsamic vinegar, red wine, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a few minutes more, allowing everything to soften and brown some more.
- Add olive oil and leaves of collard greens to the pan.
- Cover with stock and cover and for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, to allow the liquid to reduce, and stir fig jam into the pan.
- The collard greens are ready when the greens are tender and the liquid has formed a sauce.
- Finish with crispy, chopped bacon on top.