For our family, oysters are always a sign of celebration! They are the ultimate celebratory treat that happens to be healthy – BIG BONUS! Take a break from the pigs & blankets and mixup the appetizers with something fresh from the sea! We love them raw over ice, with a homemade mignonette, lemon wedge, and glass of white wine. We also love them baked with fresh spinach and cheese. Why not, try both? Cheers!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds salt
- 3 dozen fresh oysters in the shell, washed
- Heat a large skillet, melt butter then add onions – cook onions until translucent
- Add spinach; cook and stir until wilted then remove from the heat
- Once removed from heat, stir in cheese, lemon and pepper.
- Spread salt into ungreased baking pans
- Shuck oysters, reserving oyster and its liquid in bottom shell
- Lightly press oyster shells down into the salt, using salt to keep oysters level
- Top each with 2-1/2 tsp. spinach mixture
- Bake, uncovered, at 450° until oysters are plump, 6-8 minutes & enjoy immediately!