Healthy, hearty, and packed with flavor! This vegetarian version of the family favorite soup is sure to impress even the most difficult of nonbelievers. Meatless meals are JUST as good as meat-packed meals. Take Katie’s word for it!
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled + diced)
- 3 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
1. Soak dry beans overnight in salted water. They will absorb the water and should yield about 4 cups of beans total. If you are using canned beans – no need to soak! Just use 1 can each of pinto and black beans (drained).
2. Heat Dutch oven or large pot on medium high and add oil. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add sweet potato, garlic, and all of the spices. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
3. Add broth, beans, diced tomatoes, and salt to the pot. Let it come to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 90 min to 2 hours. The longer the better to develop flavor!
4. Serve as is or top with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, or avocado!